Wagatail Presents: Zach Deputy with The Hollow Legs and Pompous Highmen
Zach has a one man show. enhanced by looping technology– that is essentially a one man dance party offering up what he calls “Island-infused, Drum ‘n’ Bass, Gospel-Ninja-Soul” to the enthusiastic crowds of dancers who flock to clubs from coast-to-coast.
Performing Artists (Click on Artist for Reviews and Previews)
21 & over
On his new release Another Day (Eusonia Records, 2011), Zach Deputy demonstrates his extraordinary ability to perform and record in multiple contexts and conveys the sensibilities of a mature singer/songwriter. Another Day offers another look at Zach Deputy and seeks to help him cross over into other audiences. Rich with ballads and mid-tempo songs, the music on this recording is best described as soulful rhythm and blues, with flavors of Al Green, Taj Mahal and Stevie Wonder emerging in the swells, changes and modulations of the music, in the voice and even in the lyrical content. The record will appeal to fans of contemporary artists like Jack Johnson and Amos Lee, but the origins of the style and feel remain classic. Another Day is an appropriately titled album, and it is truly an album in the classic sense—a collection of songs that come from the same time and place, inspired by the same muse. Reflective and introspective, it provides a glimpse at the soul of an artist and the depth of a songwriter. Full of hope and anticipation of the promise of another day, a new day, it is a pivotal point in the career of a touring musician. Whereas it is a departure for Zach Deputy, it is one that he feels confident his fans can relate to, but it isn’t the end in itself. Deputy’s multi-faceted diamond gets one side polished in this offering, and it is a side that will shine brightly for a new audience.
The Hollow Legs: Born out of the smoldering remains of the Great Recession comes The Hollow Legs, a group of four South Bay natives that bring a ferocious garage rock sound inspired by good old fashioned American Blues music.
The soulful yet powerful vocals of Kira “Bones Jones” Lingman will leave you breathless and possibly brainless. Sharing lead guitar duties with Kira is Richie “1%” Calkins, the aristocrat who somehow tricked the rest of the 99% into thinking he was the second coming of Hendrix. Mason “Mraz” Wright produces thundering bass tones and always fills the “one fedora per crew” quota. Danny “Jah Praise” Peyton, a local drum and ‘shine enthusiast, will bring “jah”-dropping drum fills on his duct taped drum kit (sponsored and anchored by Pedigree).
Pompous Highmen: Pompous Highmen is a unique melting pot of musical style. Although the members of the band share a lot of the same favorites from a wide array of genres, they each have their own tastes as well. This results in a sound that is hard to pin to a single genre. These three South Bay natives draw from far too many a styles to list, yet combine them in a way that is natural. Many bands of this nature have a slew of songs of different styles that do not fit together. With Pompous, this is not the case. Although these Highmen write songs from what some may consider different genres, the end result always contains the signature sound of Pompous Highmen.